What you should know

What you should know

Immigration (Campus France)

After receiving your acceptance letter from Sciences Po Lille’s International Programs and services, the Consulate of France shall issue, provided adequate livelihoods, a « student » visa allowing you to enter French territory.

Since April 2021, the whole visa process for international students can be started online, more information here: https://www.campusfrance.org/en/student-visa-for-france-login-to-france-visas

Visa applications must be submitted from the France-Visas Website: https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/ 

Health Insurance

In France, and thus at Sciences Po Lille, all the students must have an insurance in order to be registered administratively.

There are 3 cases:

  1. Students studying in the EU (with a European Insurance card)
  2. Students from outside the EU who will have to prove that they are covered during their full stay in France
  3. Students from Québec who are able to make use of the agreement between the French and the Québec governments (Agreements: SE-401-Q-102 or SE-401-Q-106)

Affiliation to social security

A- For students who are residents of the European Union:

The Primary Health Insurance Fund (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie, CPAM) will cover the reimbursement of treatments when the European Health Insurance Card (CMEA) is presented, so it is vital that you bring this card with you before you leave your home country for your studies at Sciences Po Lille. In order to be refunded, you must visit the nearest CPAM with your CMEA, sick leave certificates and your RIB number. This will enable being refunded to your bank account.

You can also subscribe to a complementary health insurance to obtain additional reimbursement of medical expenses that are not taken into account by Social Security.

B- For students who are not residents of the European Union:

Exchange students (including Turkish students) will have to be affiliated to the French Healthcare System during their exchange experience.

The registration process is mandatory and free of charge from the French Healthcare Website called “Ameli”. More information here: https://etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr/#/

Nevertheless, please note that you can take a supplementary health care coverage in order to be reimbursed at a higher rate.

Some advice if you need medical treatment, a doctor or…an ambulance

If you are ill : who do you go to ?
In case of illness during your stay, you can consult a doctor for medication. You can book an appointment by visiting the Doctolib website, where most doctors are registered.

For serious illnesses or injuries the hospital emergency department is open 24/7.

The GP (General Practitioner)

When you are sick for the first time in France, you can choose a doctor who will become your GP for the duration of your stay. This means that you will always see your GP first before consulting a specialist, go to the physiotherapist or to get an X-ray.

The doctor (In French - médecin)

The doctor can auscultate you: they ask you to explain what is wrong, listen to your heart, take your blood pressure, look for symptoms to identify your pain.

He/she can also write you a prescription based on their diagnosis. They can prescribe medication that you find in pharmacies or they can prescribe further medical care (blood tests, physiotherapy, radiology, etc.).

The doctor is the central person in the French healthcare system: you are unable to buy some medication without a prescription.

If you see a specialist without a doctor’s referral, you will be reimbursed less money by the Social Security.

The "pharmacie"

This is where you buy medicines. Some are freely available which means that you can buy without a prescription. This is the case with aspirin, certain cough syrups, medications against colds, etc. When buying OTC drugs without prescription, you cannot be reimbursed by Social Security.

Prescription drugs are sold only with the authorization of the attending physician. This is the case of antibiotics, birth control pills, and usually all powerful medications.

The emergencies

In case of serious injury that requires a quick response, you must go directly to the nearest emergency hospital. These services are open 24 hours a day.

If you are unable to move, call the fire brigade (In French: les pompiers) by dialling 18 from a landline or 112 from a mobile phone.

General Safety

Lille is a great, young, vibrant city. International Exchange students should exercise the same safety precautions that they would at home. In addition, you need to be mindful that it will be difficult to conceal that you are a foreigner, and this could make you more vulnerable to theft and crime.
Naturally speaking and understanding some French could help (a reminder: we propose French language courses during the introductive seminars). The more you understand what is going on around you and the easier it is for you to communicate, the safer you will be.
Become familiar with the local emergency numbers and the procedures for obtaining emergency health.

•    Police: 17
•    SAMU (Emergency medical service): 15
•    Pompiers (fire service): 18
•    Centre anti-poison (Poison control center): 03 20 44 44 44
•    European Emergency number: 112

Carry your card with emergency contacts, insurance details and your ID with you at all times.

Use and abuse of alcohol and drugs abroad can increase the risk of accident and injury. Many study abroad accidents and injuries are related to the use and abuse of alcohol and drugs abroad. Violating drug laws abroad may result in very serious consequences. In some countries you may visit, being found guilty of violating drug laws can result in serious consequences.

Many students underestimate the risk of road safety abroad and become victims of a road or traffic-related accident (for instance, make sure that you are easily visible to drivers when walking). Try to be as careful as possible.

Finally the main line here would be: Lille is not a dangerous city, you will have a marvelous experience during your stay… but you need to practice the same safety precautions that you would at home.

To find help and advice for EU nationals and their family

Reporting Sexist and Sexual Violence

Sciences Po Lille is dedicated to fight against sexist and sexual violence. We have therefore put in place a councelling and report team that you can contact if you are victim or witness of a sexist or sexual violence situation. 

You can make a report by filling in this form, you will then be contacted by the councelling team to schedule a meeting. The councelling team will listen to you, help you identify the situation and advise you on the next course of actions. These reports can remain confidential if you want to.  

Reporting Racism, Antisemitism and Discrimination acts

If you notice any act related to racism, antisemitism or discrimination or any kind, you can report those acts along with any proof that you may have to this email address

Please note that if you need to report a situation, you need to be a direct witness or the victim of this discrimination. 

After your report, your case will be studied and the person in charge will get back to you within 15 days to inform you about the next course of action.